Sunday, July 10, 2011

Making Currant Jam - Who knew it was this easy? It only took 1 hour 20 minutes!

Yesterday, I discovered that the bushes in my yard were currant bushes. So I 'googled' and found out how to make currant jam. Now, as you know if you google something you will find lots of sources and lots of opinions. After reading everything I could find I decided to do it this way.  Here is my photo tutorial, enjoy!
I have one bush with RED CURRANTS.

I have one bush with WHITE CURRANTS
And two bushes with BLACK CURRANTS
The recipes that I found were for either red or black currants. I decided I didn't have enough red ones to make much jam so I picked both the red and the white.
Pull off the stems and leaf bits.
Rinse under cool water.
Weight it . . . you'll need to remember the weight. I wrote it down.
1 pound 4 ounces (Let's see how much jam this makes?)
Measure out the same weight in sugar.

Place the currants in a kettle to cook.

Place your canning jars in water to boil and sterilize.
I did not add any water (though some recipes tell you too) This is in the beginning stages of cooking.

I wasn't sure if I would make jam (with skins & seeds) or jelly with out the seeds and skins. But I am ready with the strainer. In the end I decided not to strain it, thinking the fiber from the seeds and skins would make a healthier jam. But if you don't want the seeds then be prepared with your strainer or colander.

When I am in the kitchen I usually make my dog stay out and he lays in the doorway to the dining room. BUT, today it's storming out and he like many dogs is afraid of the thunder. So, I am making an exception and allowing him to cower in the corner of my kitchen. Poor guy.
A little stir here and there.

Hot, bubbly, smells good!

Jars are out and still hot waiting to be filled with hot goodness.
Now it's getting close to done. Foam is forming on the top. You will spoon any leftover foam off before filling your jars.
How do you know when it's cooked long enough? Place a spoonful on a chilled plate, let it sit a minute, then push it with a spoon. If it has formed a light skin and wrinkles slightly then it's done!
Fill the canning jars - OK now we know 1# 4 oz equals three 8 oz jars of jam.

Beautiful!

Using your lid magnet remove the lids from the hot water and place on top of jars then tighten with the lid rings.
Place back in the water bath and bring water back to a boil. Make sure the jars are covered with an inch of water. Boil for about 10 minutes.

This is what was left over in the kettle. I put it over a scoop of ice cream.

Perhaps I should have had it with vanilla yogurt instead? It is only 10:20 am. Oh well, next time, I just didn't want any of it to go to waste.

Remove the jars from the hot bath and store upside down on the shelf or in the refrigerator. 
Not bad for a project that only took one hour and twenty minutes (to get to the ice cream eating part)

I will certainly do this again! Now I want to plant more currant bushes in my yard!Pin It

7 comments:

Quilting Queen said...

Hi there, I do believe that your 'white' currents are actually gooseberries which may be why you could only find instructions for red or black currents.. Either way, your jam looks great..bet it tastes great too.

Jamie Kalvestran said...

Hi Quilting Queen, You comment intrigued me so I 'googled' it. Here is what I found out about gooseberries and currents.

http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Gooseberries_and_currants:_Ribes_sp./

Thanks for your comment!

Anonymous said...

Hi, those white currants are actually a variation of redcurrants so you did the right thing! In Australia, current has to do with electricity, and the fruit is spelt currant, so this made interesting reading! It all looks delicious. I will have to try this next summer.
Dorothy in Oz

Jamie Kalvestran said...

Guess What Anonymous? It's spelled Currant here in the USA too. Thanks for the spell check service. I think I've made all the corrections. Thanks for the comment and thanks for reading my blog!

Jody said...

Once again my talented sister, you have out done yourself, it looks wonderful.

An'Angelia Thompson said...

Great post and the jam looks beautiful! You've got a great blog, Jamie! Thanks for the link :o)

Lindsey Cazac said...

This made me laugh! It's never to early for ice cream :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin